Class of 2018
- Everyone should have returned to Mrs. Dunnington the Online Recommendation Release Form (yellow teacher rec form) by Friday, October 6. If you are applying EA/ED or submitting any application or applying for a scholarship due before winter break, you should have also completed and returned the Secondary School Report Form (salmon form) by Friday, October 6. In addition to these forms, the following steps are necessary:
- Send your test scores officially from the College Board or ACT to the college(s). The College Office will not send any scores to colleges and scores do NOT appear on your transcript. You can send scores officially through student.collegeboard.org or www.actstudent.org.
- You should self-report your AP scores of 4 or 5 when filling out your applications. You should not pay to have the scores sent officially through AP services.
- If you are applying early and have not asked your teachers for a recommendation, please speak with your college counselor, immediately.
- If you plan on applying early and would like us to read your essays, the deadline by which you must submit them to us is today, Tuesday, October 17 for November 1 deadlines and Tuesday, October 31 for November 15 deadlines. Please remember to put your name somewhere in the body of the essay.
- If you change your list, after talking with your college counselor, please email the change to Mrs. Dunnington.
- For any last-minute questions related to November 1 applications, the counselors are available for drop-in visits on Monday, October 30 and Tuesday, October 31.
- During this busy period, please check your email a couple of times per day. We will be scheduling on-campus interviews and will need to keep you updated. Also, if you have applied early, colleges may call us if anything is missing in your file, and we will notify you.
- If you must answer “yes” to the question about Disciplinary Action on your applications, you need to talk with your college counselor about your response. You are expected to answer these questions honestly.
- There are a number of different days on which you could visit colleges:
- Floating days: Seniors can miss two academic days of their choosing between Monday, September 11 – Friday, November 10 for college visits. After November 10, exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis. You will need to pick up a special absence form from Mrs. Dunnington and have it filled out with the required signatures a week before your chosen day.
- If you are applying to a school that requires materials received by a specific date, please make sure you have your SAT/ACT scores sent in time. The College Board requires at least two weeks processing time. For example, if you are applying Early Action to the University of Michigan, your scores must be received in the admission office by November 1 – send your scores now.
- We will have a required meeting for everyone applying to any of the University of California schools on Thursday, October 26 at 3:00pm in the Trustee’s Room in Straus. Please RSVP to Mrs. Dunnington by Tuesday, October 24 so that she can prepare your transcript before that meeting. Prior to that meeting please create your UC account.
- If you are an athlete who is being recruited or might be recruited by a Division I or Ivy League school, you must register with the NCAA Clearinghouse before you can have an official visit. Visit the website at http://web1.ncaa.org/ECWR2/NCAA_EMS/NCAA_EMS.html#. You will need to request Milton Academy to send your transcript. If you need assistance, please see Mrs. Dunnington.
- Don’t forget, we have available a free online test prep program called Method Test Prep. The login to access the program is: https://app.methodtestprep.com/MiltonAcademy/signup. Please see Mrs. Dunnington if you need the referral code.
Please look at student.collegeboard.org to note when various SAT Subject Tests are offered. Not all SAT Subject Tests are offered on every test date!
In the past, many, but not all, colleges have received scores from the November test date in time for consideration of early applications. Check the individual college’s website. DO NOT RUSH YOUR SCORES unless the college specifically asks you to do so.
Fee waivers – if you think you qualify, please see Mrs. Dunnington.
- The late registration deadline (a late fee applies) for the November 4 SAT or Subject Tests is October 25.
- The registration deadline for the December 2 SAT or Subject Tests is November 2.
- The registration deadline for the December 9 ACT is November 3.
Boston National Portfolio Day: This event, hosted by Lesley University College of Art and Design, will be held on Sunday, October 22 from 12:00-4:00pm at the Hynes Convention Center. For more information and to pre-register visit http://portfolioday.net/.
Columbia University: Diane McCoy, our admission representative, will visit Milton Wednesday, October 18 at 7:00pm in Straus. Please stop by to meet the rep and ask questions.
Dickinson College: Kate Guertin, our admission representative, will visit Milton Monday, October 30 at 3:00pm in Straus. Please stop by to meet the rep and ask questions. She will also offer interviews on that day. Please stop by the college Office to sign up for one.
Ithaca College: Ithaca will host an information session on Wednesday, November 1 at 6:30pm at Residence Inn Boston Needham. Pre-registration is requested; students can register at myithaca.
University of Notre Dame: Shannon Kelly, our admission representative, will visit Milton today, Tuesday, October 17 at 3:00pm in Straus. Please stop by to meet the rep and ask questions.
Princeton University: Kayla McDonald, an admission representative, will visit Milton Friday, October 20 at 3:00pm in Straus. Please stop by to meet the rep and ask questions.
St. Mary’s College of Maryland: Megan Lane, an admission representative, will visit Milton Friday, November 17 at 3:00pm in Straus. Please stop by to meet the rep and ask questions.
Stonehill College: Lauren Duff, an admission representative, will visit Milton Monday, October 30 at 10:00am in Straus. Please stop by to meet the rep and ask questions.
Suffolk University: Jennifer Finnegan, our admission representative, will visit Milton Friday, October 27 at 10:00am in Straus. Please stop by to meet the rep and ask questions.
Whittier College: Richard Scaffidi, our admission representative, will visit Milton Thursday, October 26 at 11:45am in Straus. Please stop by to meet the rep and ask questions.
Washington & Jefferson College: Kristin Crosby, our admission representative, will visit Milton Friday, October 27 at 3:00pm in Straus. Please stop by to meet the rep and ask questions.
All alumni interviews scheduled individually on-campus need to be cleared through the College Office. Please inform Mrs. Dunnington in advance of your scheduled interview so we can notify campus security and make sure an interview space will be available.
Dickinson College: Kate Guertin, our admission representative, will offer interviews at Milton on Monday, October 30. Please swing by the College Office to sign up for one; spaces are limited at this point.
REMEMBER, OUR SCHOOL CODE IS 221430
College Office phone number is 617-898-2310
College Office fax number is 617-898-1717
Posting of Class I newsletters will begin in September of 2017.